Rustic Hickory is known for its strength, open grain and distinctive color variation within each piece of wood. Ranging from light to deep brown, Hickory’s unpredictable color spread is especially noticeable in a natural or light finish, with darker stains mellowing the variation. Color variation, small pin holes and knots are naturally occurring and Rustic Hickory incorporates larger sporadic knots and pin holes. These characteristics are acceptable and not
considered warranty defects.
On Rustic Hickory cabinets,the door center panel and drawer fronts are changed to the rustic material. The cabinet frames, door frames, veneer end panels, and accessories are clear.
The term Rustic refers to using material that presents a more authentic country, rural feel to the cabinetry. The cabinets are designed to include a large amount of character elements in the wood. Theses elements include:
• Knots – solid, with no loose material, the knots can be open up to 5/32".
• Heartwood and Sapwood – Heartwood is the center part of the log. It is usually darker than the surrounding Sapwood which is considered the “living” part of the tree. This is especially true with Hickory where the contrast can be dramatic.
• Pitch pockets – these are openings in the Sapwood where sap has accumulated.
• Checks and splits – these are cracks in the wood where the wood cells have split.
• Mineral streaks – form when trees absorb minerals from the soil and stain the wood fiber.
The Rustic cabinetry you buy can have some or all of these elements. They are distributed randomly by nature. This gives the cabinetry its rustic appeal.
The Third/Third/Third Rule
Having the entire cabinet be made of rustic material would be too much and overpower the room. Cabinets that have rustic parts are specified to have; one third knots, one third rustic characteristics other than knots, and one third clear. This has proven to be the most aesthetically appealing ratio. It is possible that a random door or drawer front will not have a knot or characteristic. This is by design for a better visual appearance and not considered a quality defect.
(door image may not depict the correct species)
purchase. Shipping will
go to $0 if 6 cabinets
are in the cart.
|Shopping Basket is empty !|